For Our Future, For Our Mount Vernon
Public Safety: #1 Issue in Mount Vernon
A cornerstone for future economic development. Often called the “safety” or “security dividend” let’s improve the quality of life so that everyone feels safe in their own neighborhoods, while they shop, children play and businesses flourish.
- Create a Crime Strategies Unit to prioritize efforts to reduce violent crime.
- Improve wraparound services to reduce recidivism.
- Incentivize officers to live in the city they police.
- Fund training and prioritize continued professional development as part of a 21st Century policing strategy.
To Enhance Fire Safety:
- Prevent fires and save lives with prevention initiatives such as training, inspections and fire/carbon monoxide alarms.
Job Focused Programs and Investments that benefit everyone and accelerate community growth.
- Incentives to attract businesses to our business districts.
- Public transportation to connect business districts to residential neighborhoods and train and subway stations.
- Claw Back provisions that recuperate tax incentives for businesses that do not deliver on promised job creation numbers.
- Database of Deals for the public to easily track the performance of subsidized projects.
- Local ordinance that prioritizes purchasing products made locally in Mount Vernon, in New York and in America to promote job growth.
- Training and Partnerships to close the middles skills gap. To review a collaborative study between business, government and education, please click here: SUNY Middle Skills Gap Study.
Partner with MVCSD and WCC to close the skills gap so everyone can grow together.
- Introduce professional development programs at Mount Vernon’s WCC extension to support business and city government needs.
- Partner with Unions to develop apprenticeship programs with the MVCSD, WCC and employers.
- Support the Campaign for Fiscal Equity to ensure our public schools receive the funds needed and deserved.
- Require that development studies do not use research known to typically underestimate traffic, parking and the number of school children as benchmarks.
An Action-based City Council will:
- Balance a budget that promotes community growth and investment.
- Develop a Master Plan that prepares Mount Vernon for today and our digital future.
- Promote an open dialogue between the People and their City Government.
- Provide translation services in City Hall to better serve our immigrant communities.
- Create a ‘Green Strategy’ for a healthier and more enjoyable community.